HTML


HOME     PORTFOLIO     BIO    PRICING    BLOG    CONTACT    


Sunday, December 12, 2010

Doctor Who?!

Doctor Who is the longest running science fiction series in the world, and is produced by BBC. I have been a fan for a long time, so I knew that the recent seasons of the show filmed in Cardiff, Wales. Since I am a total nerd, Cardiff had to be on my list of cities to visit. Cardiff is also the home base of Torchwood, one of Doctor Who's spin-offs. I browsed the Doctor Who website to find out if any events were coming up. Sure enough, the cast of the current season of Doctor Who was going to be a part of the Christmas Lights Switch-On in Cardiff, so I made sure my visit to the city coincided with the date of the event.

Upon arrival in Cardiff, I got a map and the hostel receptionist circled all of the Doctor Who and Torchwood sights. First stop was the Doctor Who museum. They had some neat costumes and props on display. I expected it to be larger, but I still left completely giddy!








That night, I arrived at the Christmas Lights Switch-On event over an hour early. The place was already crowded with people, but I eventually squished my way to the front of the crowd. At the very end of the event, Matt Smith (the new Doctor), Karen Gillan (his companion, Amy Pond), and Arthur Darvill (Amy Pond's husband Rory) came on stage. Jason Mohammad talked to the cast, and once it was time to turn on the lights, Matt Smith pulled out a sonic screwdriver (the Doctor's favorite tool.)


 Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who Cast

 Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who Cast

 Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who Cast

 Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who Cast

For an exciting finale, Matt Smith pointed the screwdriver into the air, it lit up, and fireworks went off as the christmas lights turned on.


 Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who Cast

 Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who Cast

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great coincidence! Did you have the opportunity of time traveling, as well? Even if you were not taken back - or forward - you really did a great job capturing fantasy and fiction on a festive stage.

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous! Your pictures from Europe really make me want to go back and I can't believe you got to see the Doctor!